Saturday, February 7, 2009

It's Hard to Say Goodbye

The downturn in the world economy is on the minds and hearts of everyone. Each time I turn on the television or pick up a newspaper, the news is grim. Long time favorite retailers like Linens 'N Things and Circuit City are gone forever, while many others struggle to keep afloat.

There is sadness in the scrapbooking community when yet another local store closes or a favorite publication fades away. Such is the case with one of my favorite publications Simple Scrapbooks. Here is an excerpt of the official announcement...

"I am saddened to share that, due to difficult conditions in both the economy and the publishing market, the May/June 2009 issue of Simple Scrapbooks magazine (on sale April 14) will be its last. "

If you are a SS subscriber, not to worry. The remaining balance of your subscription will be transferred to Creating Keepsakes. Rather than paraphrase, you can read the complete announcement on the SS blog here.

Another popular publication - Digital Scrapbooking Magazine - also bites the dust. You can read the complete announcement here. Both SS and DSM are publications of scrapbook giant CK Media.

“Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.”—Winston Churchill


5 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

Recessions suck.

Judyann said...

Did not know that. What a shame, I love Simple Scrapbooks. I knew that about the Digital magazine but still saw it on the shelves so was a little bit confused. Thanks for the update.

Country Girl said...

It's difficult to watch the news anymore.

Deb said...

Yes, MPM, recession sucks, but there will be new companies born out of this economic mess. OK, so I always look for the bright side of things...that is just the way I am.
I am so glad we are off the road because I don't see how the promoters are making ends meet, yet alone the poor independent.
Whew...we need CHANGE!

Chere said...

I wish I could say that there will be a quick end to this maddness. Reading some of the things that were done in the past and what is being done today really scare me. I do wish our current leaders would look at what was done when Reagan went into office. Our country was in much worst shape. I pray a lot.