Thursday, March 5, 2009

An Unexpected Break From Blogging

There are days when life takes a front seat to blogging. Poor Doughboy had a rough weekend with a bout of the flu. Because of the snowstorm last Sunday, his return flight to Pittsburgh was delayed until Monday. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Doughboy ended up in Urgent Care (an oxymoron because it was neither urgent nor caring) late Monday afternoon and was sent to the hospital for a suspected blood clot in his lower left leg. He was immediately admitted and underwent a barrage of tests and IV's filled with antibiotics over the next couple days. He was eventually diagnosed with cellulitis - a painful bacterial infection that could have turned irreversible if left untreated. Doughboy's week was not pleasant.

He was sprung yesterday and is recovering at home. By doctor's orders he must rest and keep his foot elevated. It's nice to have him home but I wish it were due to less severe circumstances. We celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary by a hospital visit. Someday we will remember this event and laugh it off. For now, it remains too close for comfort.

I gave him the book I made for our anniversary. My big teddy bear actually teared up as he turned the pages that chronicles our life over the past 20 years. He has already asked for another such book for our 25th anniversary. I'm so very glad he liked his gift.

For my gift Doughboy increased our collection of Bonnie Marris art. The lovely giclee canvas shown below is one of 25. You may view other such works of art that we have in our home by clicking here. I can't wait to get it framed and hung! Happy anniversary, my love.



10 comments:

Jamie Payne said...

Happy anniversary to my wonderful parentals! I can't believe it's been 20 years, although I can't really remember our life without doughboy in it. You're the best parents a girl could ever ask for!!

Mental P Mama said...

I am so glad he was able to get home before that mess. And Happy Anniversary! You two are so adorable.

Judyann said...

Happy 20th. So sorry that Pete had to be in the hospital. Glad to hear he is on the mend and will be up to his usual antics soon.

Beautiful picture.

Deb said...

I wish Pete a speedy recovery.

Nikki S. said...

Happy Anniversary and tell Pete to "get well soon".

Country Girl said...

I'm so glad he loved the book. I really enjoyed the sneak preview you gave us.
But I was so surprised at this turn of events and am hoping that he's (literally) back on his feet really soon. Please tell him I am thinking of him!!

The Weaver of Grass said...

I have a friend who had cellulitis and I am glad to say she is now completely recovered.
That photograph at the end of your blog is wonderful.
Happy Anniversary to you both - here's to the next twenty years.

Roxanne Schwandt said...

Happy Anniversary! It sure was memorable...
I hope Peter gets better soon!!

scrappysue said...

hugs to doughboy - hope he feels better soon!

Janette said...

Oh WOW I'm glad to hear he is doing better.
Just goes to show how precious life is and how something like this slows us down! I'm glad you are taking good care of him! Happy Anniversary to you both! =)